- It is simple and relatively risk-free.
- You can have a say in the design – perhaps choosing a home design from a selection in a book of plans.
- It is usually cheaper than buying a new home off-the-shelf or from a conventional housebuilder.
- You can sometimes arrange with the developer for you to finish the work off, so the developer constructs a watertight shell and you then tackle the rest. This can result in savings of 10-20%.
- Currently there are only a few developers offering this option, so there are only a handful of projects or opportunities currently underway in the UK.
- It tends to be more expensive than a ‘traditional’ self build as the developer will want to recover all its costs and make a fair profit.
WHAT YOU USUALLY HAVE TO DO
- Register your interest in custom build with the relevant local authority where you’d like to build your home.
- Check online or in your local press to see if there are any schemes like this happening in your area.
- If you want to try and get a project like this underway, call a meeting of like-minded souls and then approach a few sympathetic local builders or developers to see if they’d be prepared to work with you to deliver your project.